The site chosen for the museum – the Fort Saint-Jean and the J4 pier of the commercial port – at the junction between the Old Port and the Joliette, at the front of the city, is in complete harmony with the museum`s theme.
Each part of the Fort Saint-Jean site bears testimony to Marseille`s civil and military history. On the Greek and Roman ruins of the ancient state-city, there is a 12th century chapel that was part of the former Commandry of St. John of Jerusalem, the medieval tower of King René (built between 1447 and 1453), and the Tour du Fanal erected in the 17th century at the request of ship-owners to light up the entrance to the harbour, surrounded by various military fortifications. The historical site, and the harmonious diversity of the military, religious and civil elements that compose it, has always been closed to the public.
Pictures from Ricciotti Architects