Rethinking the Classroom Box: the Teaching Space Through Steelcases's Approach
On the occasion of Steelcase's introduction in the greek furniture market, we can have a look at the company's philosophy and design approach on classrooms and teaching spaces, through the examination of 3 classroom types, each one showcasing a different solution and layout.
These classrooms rethink “the box” and move away from the traditional setting of rows of fixed tablet chairs and a lectern. They engage and inspire by putting control of the learning space in the hands of students and instructors.
- These learning spaces can easily morph from lecture mode to teamwork to group presentation, discussion and back again.
- Every seat is the best seat, with access to content, other students and instructors who are available to everyone.
- Technology is integrated, providing democratic access for all.
1. NODE CLASSROOM
This classroom features Node on casters with personal worksurfaces, portable Huddleboards and a height-adjustable instructor table for maximum flexibility and comfort.
- Lightweight Huddleboards are ideal for small group content creation and review. Hang on a workrail or easel for presentation to the class.
- Instructors can position their adjustable table and stool at any point in the room that’s best for their teaching style or activity at hand.
- Personal worksurfaces adjust for large and small users and move independently of the seat shell and base.
- With built-in storage in the base, personal worksurface, swivel seat and casters, Node makes maximum use of every square foot of classroom space.
2. VERB CLASSROOM
Verb is an integrated system of classroom furniture designed to support a variety of learning and teaching styles on demand. Verb classrooms give students and instructors limitless possibilities for learning modes with individual, mobile desks to support focused and collaborative work.
- Learning is extended to vertical surfaces with the interactive and static whiteboard.
- The freedom to move and engage means wall protection is required in all active learning settings.
- Information persistence is supported with wall track at multiple heights for whiteboards
- Seating that swivels and offers height adjustability supports all user types.
- The table’s chevron shape supports the individual’s intimate zone, separating “my” space from “your” space.
3. MEDIA:SCAPE LEARNLAB
Combining innovative LearnLab design with unique media:scape technology creates the opportunity for three distinct modes of sharing digital content: small team co-creation, group sharing and lecture.
- LearnLab provides multiple stages where instructors can engage with students.
- Media:scape integrates furniture and technology to let instructors and students share digital information instantly.
- Small team breakouts occur at the table in the classroom, eliminating the need to move to another location.
- Face-to-face seating encourages student engagement and team collaboration.
- A triangular view plane offers students equal visual access to content, no matter where they’re located in the classroom.
Steelcase's official opening ceremony will take place in the 7th of September, 2016, at 18:00 at the EKA Hellas SA / Steelcase® showroom on 1 Kifisias Avenue, 15123 Maroussi.
For the Facebook Event click here.